Friday, May 23, 2008

days like these.

she sat there hunched over.....like a great weight was pressing on her shoulders.

she looked intently at my friend as she talked, as if he could somehow lift the burden that was not allowing her to sit upright in her chair.

as i approached i greeted my friend and smiled at her and saw the pain in her eyes.

she didn`t hold my gaze but looked away and down.

as i got my coffee she said her good-byes and in a moment was gone......and my friend told me what had happened.

her boyfriend had left her.

nothing new in that.....it happens all the time, yet we never get used to the feeling.

the tearing and tearing.

both. at the same time.

i recognised the look in her eyes and knew that she wouldn`t stay.

because she knows what i`ve been through.

nobody told me there would be days like these.......full of pain.

as much as the pain hurt, i knew that it would get better though.

and i knew looking in her eyes that she had no idea.

and if someone had told me there would be days like this i wouldn`t have understood what they meant.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

doomed to repeat........

Dr.Alistair said...

that`s encouraging.

Anonymous said...

Doomed to repeat?

I for one hope that the good doctor is past that which caused him such pain, and that he can recieve some happiness as the summer approaches.

Anonymous said...

Made me think of "Wash, rinse, repeat." and this conversation over drinks with coworkers who were teasing another coworker who had off his ponytail. They mentioned using less shampoo and another one said, "That 2nd lather is unnecessary - they just tell you that to make you use more.."

I recall my first heartbreak. Not the most fun I ever had that's for sure. But what I learned was that I could survive, that such pain did end and when I did end up "repeating" it, I knew that I would grieve and I would find my way back out of grief. And I did.

I'm with "better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

However, if I kept falling in love and "losing" within short intervals, I'd think I had some type of problem that needed to dealt with!

Dr.Alistair said...

well, the cycle continues until the lesson is learned.

loving the self first is the first step to learning the lesson, whatever that might be.